Grasshoppers are the swarming phase of certain species of short-horned in the family Acrididae. These are species that can breed rapidly under suitable conditions and subsequently become gregarious and migratory when their populations become dense enough. (wikipedia)
Grasshoppers or Belalang in Indonesian is generally consumed as a side dish or snack especially in Gunungkidul, Yogyakarta. It can be easily found almost in all Gunungkidul area. The sellers offer them either in uncooked or cooked (fried) one.
Here we are going to share how to cook grasshoppers :
- 1 kg grasshoppers
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 15 ref onions
- 250 gr gula pasir
- 4 sendok makan garam
- flavoring to taste
step of cooking:
1. Remove the legs, and the wings (Some people also pull the head straight off, which removes the guts (including the stomach). This tends to remove certain kinds of parasites)
2. Clean the locust by hot water
3. Puree garlic and onion then put into an pot / container
4. Then add a grasshopper into the container / pot then add the sugar, salt, flavoring and water as much as + – 2 liters
5. Boiled the grasshopper until it turns into a reddish color (approximately 30 minutes)
6. After boiled then drain to leak past the grasshopper prepare and frying oils and fried grasshoppers to look brown or until cooked.
7. lift and fried grasshoppers ready to be served.